Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fruity Fun


I picked up this fruit fabric a while back when I had a Jo-Ann's coupon. I didn't really have a plan for it, it just looked fun. I mean who can resist brightly colored fruit?

I have a pile of 3T jeans that still fit my daughter in the waist, but they are a few inches too short so she really couldn't wear them. I couldn't bear to waste them so I've started turning them into skirts. Well, actually, this is my first one. I cut off the legs, evened up the cut and then stitched on a tube of gathered fabric. (I used probably 40 inch (about 1 meter) long strip to make the tube.)


The shirt is my favorite part of the whole outfit. I picked up the T-shirt on sale at Wal-Mart for $2.00 and just raw edge appliqued the apples onto it. I just love how it turned out. I think the skirt and the shirt together probably took less than two hours from start to finish.

The apple shirt still needs another washing or two to fray nicely, but I couldn't resist sharing. Partially because Amanda Jean posted about using the same fabric just the other day, and because I'm just so pleased with how it all turned out. Now I just have to get my daughter to wear the darn thing...


15 comments:

Amanda Jean said...

Adorable!!! What a perfect use for that cute fabric!

Brenda said...

I really love it. I also have that fabric. It looks great on the shirt.

Allie said...

Oh my gosh that is too cute! Perfect fabric for it!

kate said...

I want that skirt for me.

Manoute said...

What a good idea! So cute!

Marcia said...

Cute, cute cute! Girls are so fun to sew for.

Maggie said...

Super cute!

Sam said...

Love it! Top and skirt both look great :-)

I want to do something similar with my son's jeans - he has such looooong legs, so I'm going to sew some fabric to the bottom of each leg....one day. It's on my list!

Val said...

Very cute! I admire your guts in cutting up one thing and turning it into something else. I have a skirt with a hole that I really want to fashion into something else (maybe a hat?), but I'm still a bit afraid to take scissors to it.

Loralynn said...

What a darling outfit! Great idea on getting more wear out of the jeans!

Erin said...

Smart!

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

how smart and thrifty!!
i should do something like this with my daughter's jeans. She is long and skinny, so she outgrows the length first.
thanks for the great idea!

The WoodLand School said...

Cute outfit! I just love that raw-edge applique!

Anonymous said...

I think that is my favorite sewing project of yours ever!! The skirt is MY favorite part. It looks like it came from a boutique. Great idea for extending the life of the jeans!

Carly said...

Cute, cute, cute! I love that fabric, too. I was so excited when I saw it at our Joann's!